Monday, October 26, 2009

Food for Thought

I am convinced that when (not if) peace comes to the Middle East, food will be at the heart of the resolution.

Last week while working diligently on a special project off-site, I detected the beloved and fragrant aroma of Israeli food. Shaworma, tabouleh, hummus, those delectable blends of chicken, garlic, lemon, and all the fresh veggies that round out healthy Mediterranean recipes.

I followed my nose and landed square in the middle of an Arab-American seminar. Not known for being shy, I asked them if I could beg a plate of their wonderful food. And yes, I explained that I was working on the other side of the building on a German-Jewish project.

They did not hesitate for even a second. Two or three people converged on me, plate and flatware in hand. Be sure to take enough, they urged. Take some for your friends too.

Unbelievable hospitality and generosity of spirit! It made me think of the days when Albanian Muslims protected "their" Jewish neighbors against the Nazi hordes, for God and for country.

What will it take to restore that sense of camaraderie, to understand there is more in common between us than there are differences that divide us?

One thing I know for sure. Joanie and Sid have now found food as a way to communicate!

No comments:

Post a Comment